Established in 2005, the award was created to honor the brewing skills of one Iowa resident Homebrewer. This brewer has demonstrated their outstanding brewing skills by performance in three of the three sanctioned Iowa competitions:
- IBU Open March 24, 2018
- The Iowa State Fair August, 2018
- MUGZ Land of the Muddy Waters November, 2018
How is the award calculated?
Places earned in a qualifying competition will be awarded points.
- 5 points for 1st
- 3 points for 2nd
- 1 point for 3rd
Net points are calculated by only including the highest placing beer per BJCP numbered category from all qualifying competitions entered. The brewer must have had a placing entry(ies) in at least 3 of the 3 qualifying competitions. The 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines will be followed.
- Earn qualifying points in at least 4 of the possible 28 BJCP style categories
- Earn points in 3 of the 3 qualifying competitions
- Brewer must be at least 21 years of age at time of contest
- All entries must be brewed at home, No Brewpub, Microbrewery or Brew on Premises beers are eligible in any of the participating contests.
- 2016 Aaron Reif
- 2015 Aaron Reif
- 2014 Scot Schaar
- 2013 Scot Schaar
- 2012 Todd Abraham
- 2011 Christine Weydert
- 2008 Michael Tiernan
- 2007 Mark Rippe
- 2006 Michael Tiernan
- 2005 Mark Simpson
For further information please contact: membership at thirstyhomebrew.org.